Thomas Mills - A Family Tradition Since 1836
Our Company History
Located along the south fork of Bens Creek (now called the “Benscreek”) in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, John Thomas’s Mill was recorded as a “Grist Mill” on the property of John Thomas in 1836. History leads us to believe that the mill was actually built a few years before 1836 by someone named “J. Rock,” who started its construction and left the mill unfinished. Thomas Family legend indicates that John Thomas bought the mill from J. Rock and Mr. Rock then worked for John. The name of the village is now Thomas Mills — Coincidence?
John Thomas died in 1876 and his youngest son Moses Thomas operated the mill until his death in 1907. In 1895 the mill burned to the ground. It was a windy night and it is believed that ashes raked out of the newly-installed steam boiler blew around and ignited the blaze. The next morning, Moses, his son Levi (who was by then running the mill), and Levi’s five sons gathered around the breakfast table and decided to rebuild.